Clouds, May 2010

Clouds, May 2010

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

the daily grind

Sometimes when I am making Hayden something to eat, I just don't seem to prepare it fast enough. I can be proactive and begin putting whatever it is together maybe a half hour before I think he'll ask for it. But when he stands too close to the stove, or too close to a knife, or some place that is inadvertently stalling me, I wish I could wave a magic wand and make some sort of baby gate appear around myself for a few minutes.

I think other Moms would say that is just part of being a mom. Moms are everything (or should I say everyone) from short-order cooks, chauffeurs, and personal assistants, to nurses, maids, and personal shoppers. I am all of those people too, although the maid part depends on the day. 

From the time that Hayden was in Early Intervention (EI) and we educated ourselves, and made phone calls, and fought to increase his measly five hours of therapy a week to NINETEEN... and fast-forward to starting school when there were budget cuts and staff changes... I had to become our own professional Advocate.

When it was time to coordinate schedules for the 9 EI therapists covering 5 different therapy areas, I had to become an expert Planner. 


In the years to follow, as I carefully orchestrated every single week of Hayden-coverage between me, my husband, our jobs, babysitters, grandparents, daycare, and school... I would put any A-list celebrity Assistant to shame.

By now I could act the part of a Physical Therapist, Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist, or Special Educator. I could write a thesis on ADHD, hypotonia, apraxia, and exotropia (although I wouldn't want to). I'm pretty sure I hold a degree in behavioral issues, and I most definitely have my Masters in sensory processing disorder.

That is not even counting the amount of appointments, consults, observations, and paperwork that comes with the territory. Forms, evaluations, surveys, questionnaires, more forms, medical history, pregnancy details, outline of milestones, more forms, examples of his reaction in scenarios A, B, and C... or his understanding of D through F... will he eat foods G through M...

Yes, there exists an insane amount of paperwork with personal data on my son. And he's only been in this world for seven years.

But sure, you can call me a mom. After all when it comes down to it, I am simply the parent and caregiver of my own offspring.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are a go-getter. I am amazed that you can do all that.

    ReplyDelete