Clouds, May 2010

Clouds, May 2010

Monday, July 28, 2014

people first

There is no such thing as a diagnosee. There are however, people with a diagnosis.

Just something to think about the next time you say "Autistics" or "Downs" or "Fx-ers". I do not know what any of those are, but I do know who humans are.

Having a diagnosis is not the same as a race or an ethnicity.

This is not just my thing. I am not making it up.

It's called People First language.

"People First language is used to speak appropriately and respectfully about an individual with a disability. People First language emphasizes the person first, not the disability."

I realize I can not stop all people from speaking this way, all of the time.

I can't even stop some of the people from speaking this way, all of the time.


But if I can change the way that some people speak, at least some of the time... then I will. If you agree, feel free to pass it on.

--

1 comment: