Clouds, May 2010

Clouds, May 2010

Friday, September 19, 2014

the conclusion

It took me three blog posts to summarize the week we had & I thought that was the end of it. But here I am on my fourth update, because my Friday started out with an unexpected text message.

Just to rewind back to the week before Labor Day for a minute, that was when I returned home mid-vacation to go to work for a couple of days. But more importantly, I was determined to head back to Jersey so I could meet with Hayden's new third grade teacher. I literally drove home one night in the middle of the week, leaving my spouse & child at the vacation rental with the rest of my family. Not a very Cara-thing to do at all.

But there was a new hire orientation at the school that week, so I knew H's teacher would be there. When I stopped at the school the one afternoon, I also happened to run into his former Aide (of six consecutive years, who we did not know, would not be working with him this year). I spoke to her for just a moment but she mentioned that she did not know either, about Hayden's Aide. I believed her of course, & then I asked her if she would come to the fx faculty talk the following week (it would be on a teacher in-service day). She said she would be there. 


Well, you already know what that turned into, because I covered it a couple of posts ago. And you also know that she-- his former Aide-- was not there.

The next time we saw each other after that, was at the first Board of Ed meeting of the 2014-2015 school year. And again if you've been following this week's craziness, then you already know what that turned into, too.

Anyway, the text message was from her, & she said she wanted to get together to talk. Very long story short, we decided to meet at the park because I would have to bring Hayden. This way he could be busy playing & hopefully not listening to us. I acted surprised over "running into her" so he wouldn't sense anything.

One of the first things she said to me was, "My heart goes out to you-- to both of you--", meaning me & my friend who also spoke at the Board of Ed meeting. Then she sort of filled me in on a timeline from late Spring through August.

I learned a few things to say the least, some of which I can share & some of which I can not, but as we spoke a couple of previously hazy details certainly became clearer. For example, on the day that I went to the school for my fx talk with faculty, the Aides were actually dismissed early. Furthermore, supposedly the next morning when they were going over the agenda for the 2nd & final teacher in-service day, my name was on the schedule in the afternoon. But when the Principal got to that part, she said to cross it off because that had already happened. Clearly something we have to get straightened out for the future.

I am ultimately very thankful & very grateful that his former Aide took the time to clarify some things, & get a conversation going to clear the air... & I know she practically loves H like one of her own... & I am glad they still see each other during the school day.

But now that I know more, & I have a better idea of everyone's perspective... my suspicions are unfortunately confirmed that there were definitely some missed opportunities for communication.

At the end of the day, though, as I said in my text message to her after we met up: "I know there are a lot of people who look out for H & will do right by him, even if they don't have to."

To which she replied, "You know as H would say, He's the best kid EVER!"

Can't argue with that.

--

1 comment: